Wilderness Medicine Interest Group (WMIG)
The Wilderness Medicine Club seeks to cultivate a better understanding and awareness of Wilderness Medicine, a subset of medicine that is not well-popularized at McGill. The club’s activities will be geared toward learning about Medicine outside of the controlled clinical environment, as well as establishing basic outdoors/wilderness skills that are necessary in Wilderness Medicine. Furthermore, the club will promote outdoor activities as part of a healthy and active lifestyle.
President: Roxane Héroux-Legault (email@example.com)
· Description: Members with interest in this activity will be able to participate in bi-monthly get-togethers at the local rockclimbing gym and/or in outdoor events. Contact Ashley Ta for more info!
· Description:Members with interest in this activity will be able to participate in bi-monthly outings to go snowshoeing during the winter months
· Description:Members with interest in this activity will be able to participate in bi-monthly outings to various daily hikes during the summer months
· Description:Members with interest in this activity will be able to participate in bi-monthly outings to Mont-Royal park or other sites during the winter months
· Description: Participation in the MedWAR competitions this fall and winter. During this wilderness medicine race each team of 3 has to compete in skill, clinical knowledge and endurance. This is an opportunity to gain medicine wilderness knowledge and build a network with other Wilderness Medicine Clubs in Canadian and American medical schools.
Skill sessions in preparation for MedWAR
· Description: Before each competition there will be a couple of sessions in the weeks preceding the challenge teaching the participants basic wilderness medicine necessary for each challenge.
Description: Accessible to all. This day trip will be an opportunity to meet other members of the club while trekking (9km) and canoeing on the river in St-Come.
· Description: Annual camping trip at the beginning of the fall semester, a chance for WMC members to get to know each other and plan future activities.
· Description: Annualice-fishing outing in Ste-Anne de la Perade for one day. This event will give the members and opportunity to learn how to get food and survive in the wilderness during the winter.
· Description:Spend a night camping in a snow shelter made by the participants. The club members will have a chance to learn winter survival skills.
· Description:Annual whitewater rafting weekend to end the year.